By Oriel Hicks, May 25 2014 11:09AM
Having had gales over the winter and made sculptures from the driftwood (see previous blog entry) I got bitten by the mosaic bug. I found an offcut of slate from when I'd had the hearth to my woodburner laid, and split pieces off it using a primitive chisel made from a sharpened screwdriver...
I had been given an anglegrinder by my husband for my last birthday (as one does) so I cut parallel channels into the stone and chiselled out a groove between them to take the tesserai. The result is on the gallery 2 page. I then found a couple of old roof slates and some still-painted, worm-eaten driftwood, probably from some wrecked boat, and made a couple of hanging pictures from these. I really like the different textures.